Webb Community, Texas
Formerly known as Bowman Spring, is just off Farm Road 157 eight miles from Fort Worth in southeast Tarrant County. In the early 1880's Daniel Zuefeldt opened a general store. Between 1895 and 1901 Webb had a post office, and in 1897 it had Methodist and Baptist churches. In 1935, this community had 92 voters, a school with 3 teachers and 105 students, a cotton gin and 2 stores. June Brown wrote the Webb News in the Mansfield paper. This was a real Texas co-op farming community where neighbors and friends depended on one another. In 1976 the community had a church, a school, a factory, and at least one more business. In 1987 it had an estimated forty-three residents and three to four businesses. In 1991 it was still listed on county highway maps.
The store, a cotton gin, and the town of Webb are show on the 1895 Sam Street map. The Webb Baptist Church was organized there in 1906 but has since relocated to Arlington and the original church building is now a Masonic Hall.
The first school in Webb was the Loyd School, named after one of the early families in Webb. It was located in South Webb, about one mile south of Webb proper. South Webb faded away in the early 1900's when the Baptist Church and Webb School located in Webb proper. The one-room school was a typical structure for the period. The next school built was a three-room wooden school built near the cotton gin in Webb. After that, a two-story brick school was built, it was condemned in 1927. The last school was built and classes continued until 1965 when the Mansfield ISD approved a consolidation of the district.
Cordie Sprinkle Loyd's Family
William Wesley Rosier Family
Willis House 1905
A Texas History